[SunRescue] Wacky devices + other questions

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Mon Mar 13 05:33:07 CST 2000

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, sparcy wrote:

> Ah okay a microphone. Neat!, I remember seeing those little plastic brackets, so I've should've
> taken on of those too.

Don't worry too much, the microphones aren't great.  If you do any serious
audio conferencing or recording you'll want to pick up a better one.

> I looked at the bottom of it, and it says type 5. I'll try some newspaper
> paper today (as other people suggested) if that doesn't work good enough
> I'll buy such a pad. 12 bucks is doable.

The newspaper trick will only work with type-4 mice, which will track
(although poorly) on almost any surface with contrast variations (worn
blue denim even works).

You can also get brand new type-6 optomechanical mice from Sun for $35/ea,
or the older type-5 optomechanical mice for $39/ea.  My order of
preference goes something like:

Type-5 optical
Type-5 optomechanical
Type-6 (optomechanical)
Type-4 (optical)

I like the feel of the type-4 keyboards but the layout and extra keys of
the type-5.  The 5's also feel a bit flimsier to me.

You got such a good deal on the SS20 (each of those CPU modules usually
goes for close to 200 US $ used, that system with monitor is worth close
to 10x what you paid) that you can probably afford the mousepad.  Part
number 370-1399.

-James