[SunRescue] SIMMs [was our SS2 help]

Sheldon T. Hall shall1 at columbus.rr.com
Sat Mar 11 09:42:48 CST 2000

On Friday, March 10, 2000 3:33 PM, James Lockwood wrote:
[snip]
> One additional point: the SGI Onyx and Challenge L/XL do not take
> "conventional" 72-pin FPM parity SIMMs.  They require special SGI SIMMs
at
> considerable expense.
>
> Same for most RS/6k's, though there are exceptions.  Some can take
> IBM-branded PS/2 SIMMs.

IIRC, the main diffo with "PS/2" SIMMS and normal PeeCee SIMMs was that the
PS/2 variety told the system what the SIMMs were via some special resistors
on otherwise-unused pins.

I saw an article about how it worked, once, but I can't remember if the
SIMM modification instructions in the article were about modifying PC simms
for a PS/2, or vice-versa.  Back when RAM was $60 a meg, folks would try
anything to avoid buying it ....

-Shel