[SunRescue] SIMMs [was our SS2 help]

Sheldon T. Hall shall1 at columbus.rr.com
Sat Mar 11 09:34:36 CST 2000

On Friday, March 10, 2000 10:20 AM, Jonathan [no, I don't write for /.]
Katz wrote:
[snip]
> Here's something else-- the LXs take fast-paged SIMMs as well as Parity
> SIMMs. A friend, who got quite a few LXs surplus (in the 50+ category)
> found that all the LXs had fast-paged SIMMs. They work swell. (If you're
> interested, he still has quite a few and wants to get rid of them, email
> me off-list and I'll get you in touch w/ him.)

PeeCee-type FPM SIMMs are available in 36-bit-wide parity versions.  That's
what I've got in my LX.

The way I understand it, there are 32-bit-, 33-bit-, and 36-bit-wide SIMMs,
with the 33- and 36-bit versions having parity bits either for the whole
SIMM (33-bit)or each 8-bit-byte of the SIMM (36-bit).  My understanding is
that Suns that take 72-pin parity SIMMs will take either 33-bit or 36-bit,
but like all the SIMMs to be the same.

I _think_ that all the 72-pin parity SIMMs you'll find are FPM; EDO came in
when the PeeCee industry switched over to non-parity memory.

FWIW, we have a Dell P-100 PeeCee that requires 72-pin, 36-bit-wide,
parity, 60ns FPM SIMMs; it has in it a couple of 32 meg sticks I was going
to put in my LX....

-Shel