[SunRescue] 3/60 crate

Stefan Skoglund stetson at ebox.tninet.se
Fri Mar 10 17:26:02 CST 2000

P.A.Osborne wrote:
> > Sun VME workstation (though it's not the typical VME, just a one board system), 24 SIMM sockets,
> > expandable to a P4 framebuffer (I believe the equivalent to a CG6), on-board SCSI, AUI, serial, the usual.
>
> Aha,  thats what I wanted.

One remark: if you dare it you can probably overclock a 3/60.

You could also look for a 3/280 or 3/80 machine.
They are pretty nice as desktop machines (put that ugly pc in the
closet)

check out
http://sun3arc.krupp.net/
http://stumbo.vm.com/~techrat/
http://home.k-town.de/~pkoch/

> > Oh yeah, and speed - 68020 @ 20MHz.  Boots really quick, too, for an older machine.
>
> Eek,  my recently acquired Mac has a 68020.
>
> > >2.  is it worth me sneaking it in the back door while the girlfriend
> > >    is out?
> > >
> > Personally, I think it's a pretty good machine, so yeah, why not?  What have you go to lose?
>
> Cedibility at work as I will be likely to use a spare IP address here
> so I can net install NetBSD on the thing.

You SHOULD look out for Mac's with socketed 68882 processors.
Take that one, put it in the 3/60 and change the clock.
Why ? because that Mac 882 is probably 40Mhz certified which will do
wonders for your FP
performance.