[SunRescue] SIMMs [was our SS2 help]

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Fri Mar 10 14:30:58 CST 2000

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Jonathan [no, I don't write for /.] Katz wrote:

> The LXs are like this as well IIRC (I haven't had mine apart in two
> weeks, and I forgot.)

Right, only it's every third slot and there are 2 SIMMs per bank.

> Here's something else-- the LXs take fast-paged SIMMs as well as Parity
> SIMMs. A friend, who got quite a few LXs surplus (in the 50+ category)
> found that all the LXs had fast-paged SIMMs. They work swell. (If you're

I think you are confused.  Fast-paging (as opposed to EDO) and parity are
orthogonal attributes of a SIMM.

Any SIMMs that will work in an LX are 33-bit or 36-bit parity.  FPM is
specced, though I have seen EDO parity (rare stuff) work.  The spec of the
LX calls for fast-paged parity SIMMs.

> I was under the impression that just about any/all workstation hardware out
> there that required 72 pin SIMMs (SGI Indys/Onyx/Challenge/Indigo/Indigo2,
> Sun LX/classic/IPX, DEC Alphas, some RS/6ks) required that they be
> parity. I know the fast-paged SIMMs from the LXs didn't work in my Multia
> (DEC Alpha.)

This is probably because the SIMMs were 33-bit parity if they were sold by
Sun.  These are only usable in Suns or systems that don't require parity.

-James