[SunRescue] Source for 50 pin drives...

Tim Hauber tim_hauber at STEV.net
Fri Mar 10 10:02:45 CST 2000

rescue at sunhelp.org writes:
>I would have thought that the drive's electronics would deal with that,
>but
>that is what it says in the FAQ.  I wonder if it that the drives which
>rotate faster will transfer data faster and that the 386i cannot handle
>the
>transfer rate?

That doesn't make much sense, because the drive should just buffer data
til the buffer on board is full, then stop reading till the machine clears
the bus and there is room in the biffer again.  This would make for
slowness, but shouldn't crash anything. Any machine can have situations
where drives have to wait for the machine, not often I'm sure, but if a
machine starts a read, then another running process does something that
steals all the CPU time, the drive is going to have to wait.

Could it possibly have to do with the fact that when drives make a
rotation speed jump, they take more power?  If this were the case, then
new faster drives, with lower power requirements would be OK, but older
ones would not.

That doesn't make much sense either, but power and data speed are the only
two things I thought of.  There is also drive heat, but that correlates
less to speed than power does.

Tim