[SunRescue] Sparcstation with 0 MB (does it boot ?)

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Fri Mar 10 06:55:53 CST 2000

Sparky:

> Then another silly question, I tried to remove some of the memory of the
> first box (which has 64MB) to try to figure out if this was the problem
> in the 2nd box. Question ; How the heck does one remove memory ?, I looks
> like there are 2 little 'clips' which go into the hole of the memory module
> (on both ends) and if you hold these 2 back you should be able to pull the
> module out ... no luck at all, the damn things are stuck like hell. Is there
> something else I forgot or do I just need to apply brute force (e.g. it's
> hammer time ;-)

If it's anything like the IPC's, then you're in for a fight.
SUN has a nice little piece of wire with a bent and twisted end that enables
you to pry one side of the module up. That's enough to remove it.

Your best bet is to try and make something like it out of a paperclip. The
end needs to be made into a hook so you can hook it into the hole and then
lever the chip up.

In ASCII art:

| |
+-+
where the little hook on the right is bent backward about 20 degrees.

Maarten