[SunRescue] Help needed to boot up Sparcstation 5!

Richard Close richardc at datel-rail.co.uk
Fri Mar 10 04:32:55 CST 2000

Hi,
 I have a couple sparcstation 5 machines that were configured to boot up and
run an application on the hard drive with no user intervention.

 However now that I got my paws on them I want to install Linux over a
network.
The big problem is that I don't have a Sun monitor, or a PC monitor capable
of resolutions
over 1024x768. I therefore need to use the serial port (A) for a console.

 I have connected serial port A with a NULL modem cable (I normally use it
for my modem!)
to a Linux PC running minicom. I have set the port to 9600 8N1 and tried
both hardware and
software hanshaking but I can not see anything coming from the sparcstation.

 I have removed the keyboard and even tried removing the graphics card but I
just can't get
_anything_ coming out of the Sun's serial port at boot up.

 Can anyone help me please!

 Thanks in advance,
  Richard.