[SunRescue] Loads

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Thu Mar 9 12:30:02 CST 2000

Sure, you just plug them in, and add 250 extra cooling fans, and off you go.
Assuming that you can find the dual 200MHz HyperSPARC boards, that is.

> You can plug in two 200 (225???) MHz cpus, but that would not
> gain much compared to the four 95 MHz cpus. I'd even say the
> four cpus are better cause it's harder for a single person to
> occupy all cpu horsepower.

Never seen 225MHz, but I know that the 200MHz CPUs exist.  IIRC, ISI has
their root server running a 670 with quad HyperSPARC 150s?  Something along
those lines, anyway.

> >> P.S.: Sun doesn't recommend more than 2 processors in
> >> the SS20 that are faster than 50 MHz.=20
> >
> >Where'd you get this from?  And, if its true, why did Sun
> >sell the SS20 available with SM71s, SM81s, or 150Mhz HyperSPARCs?
>
> They never sold any machine with four SM-61 or faster. The
> only four CPU configuration that sun supported ever was the
> SS20-514, e.g. two 50 MHz dual cpu modules with 1MB supercache
> each. The reason was simple: Four 60 MHZ (or faster) would
> clog the M-Bus and run slower than four 50 MHz cpus.

Possibly, that depends on use.  If you have an application that's dealing
with small datasets, you'll see a pretty big speedup going to multiple,
faster CPUS (say, quad 150MHz hypers).  For typical workstation use, you
could probably saturate the MBUS.

> Notice that the Hypersparc have only 256 kb cache...

Some of them have only 256K, some have 512K.  I'm not sure, but I thought
that I'd seen some of the ones that they're manufacturing now with 1MB, but
I can't find that reference again.
	Greg