[SunRescue] Loads

Peter Koch koch at pz.pirmasens.de
Thu Mar 9 04:13:04 CST 2000

Hi!

>Hmmm...  Went up to about 4 or higher today.
>Especially running top.

Could you identify any cpu intensive jobs?
Or memory intensive?

>>Aha. Do the users complain? No!?!
>Sometimes, but more about the POS NT servers.

Ok, the machine is near its limit. A little bit optimizing
may help for a short while...

>>How much swap space usage do you have (try "swap -s")?
>I think they have a gig.  It's not my machine, it's my company's machine.

You can run "swap -s" as normal user. You can run a lot of
informative programs (vmstat, iostat, df) as normal user.

>Dunno (I just do regular tech support calls, but I'm working my way up there).
>A single swap file is really that bad, or just bad for that kind of configuration?

A swap file is always bad. A single swap area is fine for a workstation,
but a server needs to page a lot more so several swap areas on several
disks is recommended. Please run "swap -l" and tell me how the swap
is arranged. Then look thru the /etc/system and see if there is a line
like "set maxpgio=120" anywhere.

If the machine wasn't installed with the current usage in mind, there
might be a lot optimizing potential in the swap/paging area.

Tschuess

Peter