[SunRescue] Question #1 -- UPS Choice for Sun...

Nick Brisebois learath at snowman.net
Wed Mar 8 23:17:46 CST 2000

A 1k would do nicely.  The bigger you buy the longer it'll last.  If you
really care about runtime consider an XL, because you can add battery packs
to it (reasonably priced even).  The difference between the backups, bup
pro and smart ups is level of smarts.  The backups is Stupid, it can tell
if it's getting power, and if it's battery is "low", that's about it.  The
smartups can tell just about everything, line voltage, batt voltage, batt
%, etc etc.  The backups pro is somewhere in between.  If you intend to set
up monitoring get a pro or smart, if not get a backups.  APC's are
expensive, but i've had very good luck with them.
my 2c
	Nick