[SunRescue] Cisco discussion Cont.

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Wed Mar 8 13:30:40 CST 2000

Easy.  Small to medium sized companies have WAY too much work to do for
their IS/IT department to sanction a VP.  The need for more people who can
handle all of the day-to-day work is greater than their need for an advocate
in upper management.  We killed off the attempt to get a tech VP here, and
got another person into our office, so that we have some chance of getting
closer to caught up on all the work we need to do.  We're fortunate in that
the VPs here actually trust us IS guys to make good decisions.

> then they get their technology
> information from where ever they see it, including the next
> door neighbor
> that just "loves his WebTV" and the Intel bunnies on TV.  If
> Cisco manages
> to get a whole flock of  "Cisco Certified" kids coming out of
> 2 and 4 year
> schools, and does some sexy TV ads, they are going to get to these
> midlevel execs.
>
> And I'm not knocking being certified by anyone either,
> because even if it
> is a regurgitation exam, the cert will definitely not hurt
> your hirability
> or your $payability.  It is unfortunate that there is no way to let
> non-tech people know the difference between Certs that
> require skills, and
> Certs that rquire memorization, but that is always the case
> with any kind
> of diploma, etc.

That depends which end of the stick you're on.  I think it's a good thing to
HAVE certifications, I think it's a BAD thing to HIRE certifications.  I've
been burned by "certified" engineers a couple of times, they don't mean
anything to me anymore.
	Greg