[SunRescue] Woah, a PCI Ultra 1

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Wed Mar 8 12:07:14 CST 2000

That must be a pain...  I wonder if you could have told them you purchased
XXX high end server, but your cards don't seem to work, and gotten a
replacement board.  :)

> Even though the Ultra 5 and 10 appear very "PC-like", the motherboard
> chipset is actually quite nice.  The PCI bus implementation
> is very good
> for machines in their class.

I got a chance to look at the U5 case live for the first time today out at
one of the neighborhood shops, and they look almost as good as the SS5
sitting next to it, though with the drives slightly less conviently placed
(if you can consider anything about the media access on a pizza box
"convient").
As for the PCI bus, I'm assuming that the U5 and U10 both have just a couple
of slots, on a single bus.  What's the first multi-bus PCI SPARC?

And, while I'm at it, besides clock speed on the CPU, what are the
differences between the U1/140E, the U1/170E, and the U1/200E?
	Greg