[SunRescue] Re: [Sunhelp] Whew...

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Mon Mar 6 12:25:21 CST 2000

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Bjrn Ramqvist wrote:

> It's nothing personal, really, I'm just curious in general. Many are
> favouring Cisco simply because they know no other manufacturer. And no,
> Cisco ain't the best bet in all cases.

No, but they're in a comparable position to that which IBM was in once
upon a time ("nobody ever got fired for buying IBM").  When you buy a
router, your primary concern is almost always reliability.  Performance
and features come in second and price comes in third.

Bottom line, they do the job well, are likely to be around for a long
time, and there is a large pool of people with Cisco-specific skills
available.  I don't always recommend them but they are frequently the best
long-term fit.

-James