Re(2): [SunRescue] Re: [Sunhelp] Whew...

Tim Hauber tim_hauber at STEV.net
Mon Mar 6 11:21:07 CST 2000

rescue at sunhelp.org writes:
>Just for curiosity... Why Cisco? :-)
>I can't think of another company beginning to look more and more like
>Micro$oft, considering their size, support and everything. Look at their
>product catalogue! :-) OK, yes, they DO make the biggest (fastest, most
>bandwidth-capable) routers on the Internet, but besides that is there
>anything "oh so special" about Cisco?
>(IOS? huuh...)
>
>It's nothing personal, really, I'm just curious in general. Many are
>favouring Cisco simply because they know no other manufacturer. And no,
>Cisco ain't the best bet in all cases.

well, here in the US Cisco is dumping gazillions of dollars into their
"network academy" program, in fact we have one at our school.  But the way
it goes from Ciscos POV is you get them in high school, teach them how to
run Cisco software on Cisco stuff, give them Cisco certification, and they
won't stop to think about other brands when they grow up into a position
to buy/advise.  I kinda like the Bay Networks (oops, Nortel now) switches
we have.  It's how microsoft works too, you teach /em your stuff early,
and they don't think about other stuff when the time comes.  How many
neworks have grown from a couple peer machines into an NT mess, just
because the Tech responsible didn't know there are other OSs.

I don't like huge maket shares, they tend to lead to inferior product.