RE [SunRescue] do I have a problem?

Tim Hauber tim_hauber at STEV.net
Mon Mar 6 10:58:41 CST 2000

rescue at sunhelp.org writes:
>Not really - The bug engine never ran hot.  All of the beetles I've seen
>could sit for hours at a standstill and never overheat.  That engine is a
>masterpiece - as far as small engines for small cars go.  Porsche really
>designed that well - typical of anal-retentive German engineering.  The
>engine is nearly bulletproof.  Why do you think that the stocker beetle
>class is the most popular in events like the Baja 500 and others where
>desert heat is a concern?  Simplicity in engineering at it's finest.
>
>Kurt

Yep, typical german engineering, very well designed, but you gotta tinker
with it to keep it operating correctly. According to a friend of mine,
Bugs need the valve lash adjusted at every oil change.  My kinda machine,
you gotta know it to make it work, but when you do they will last forever.

By the way, another piece of german engineering, the 5 cylinder motor in
my 4000 Quattro (that I gave my brother) actually started after it blew a
rod cap out the bottom of the oil pan.  That's what I like,  a motor with
optional critical parts.  The lesson?  don't ever give away one of those
machines you know and love, or it will probably come back dead.