[SunRescue] ISP

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Sat Mar 4 17:00:57 CST 2000

After seven months of waiting for Electric Lightwave (our fiber transport
provider) to get their head out of their ass, we finally have our new ISP
online.  Out last ISP was Verio, and we were slightly less than please with
their service.  Slow, 3-8 hops from a backbone, about 100-150MS to a
backbone, NOBODY answering phones if a line went down, etc.  We had a single
t1 from them, and we're going to a dual t1 solution with Savvis.  Right now,
between us and alter.netm there's 1 hop, and that's our router.  So far, I'm
very impressed.  Towards the end of the week, we'll be bringing up the
second t1, and setting up BGP4 to see what we can manage for load balancing.
The only bad thing that I have to say about Savvis is that they don't have
very many POPs.  We had to run over two different fiber providers to get to
their POP.  Things should improve if/when we put in a DS3 ATM/Ethernet link,
but we'll have to wait and see.
	Greg