[SunRescue] 3/60 crate

Peter Koch koch at pz.pirmasens.de
Thu Mar 2 11:50:36 CST 2000

Hi!

>The ECC memory isn't supported on the 3/4xx nor probably the 3/2xx

Uh...

>The caches on the 3/4xx aren't supported yet either

UUUHHHH....

I wasn't aware of this...

>...but since the rollover from SunOS to NetBSD for Y2K and security issues...

Security might be an issue, but y2k is not! I've made the patches.
They're available on my website and on the Sun3/3x-Archive too.

On the other hand, security can be greatly enhanced on the Sun3
by applying the necessary Sun patches and installing extra software
like the tcp-wrapper, tcp-wrapper-libc, portmapper (all by Vietse
Wenema) and newer versions of the networking software like
sendmail (8.9.3 compiles fine on SunOS 4.1.1), bind, etc.

No reason to rush into NetBSD and get into trouble...

On the other hand, NetBSD has a future... IPv6, NFSv3, etc.
SunOS hasn't, period!
But SunOS was well years ahead of other Unices in its times.
When Sun abandoned SunOS 4.1.3, many people continued to use
it (because Solaris was unusable in its early versions and
bloated and fat in newer, more usable versions). Most free
software still comes with config files for SunOS 4 and compile
fine. Do you remember ANY OTHER 7 year old OS that builds
smoothly such huge packages like gcc, X11R6, sendmail, etc.???

Tschuess

Peter