[SunRescue] 3/60 crate

jwbirdsa at carfallin.picarefy.com jwbirdsa at carfallin.picarefy.com
Wed Mar 1 18:19:15 CST 2000

>>I've tried NetBSD with every new major revision. In the meantime
>>it runs great on the desktop boxen like the 3/60 but it still
>>sucks a lot on the VME machines.
>>
>Such as...

   The ECC memory isn't supported on the 3/4xx nor probably the 3/2xx, so any
memory error takes the whole OS out. The ie driver is unstable and sometimes
takes out the entire OS too. The si is unstable as well, although that is
probably more the fault of the hardware. The caches on the 3/4xx aren't
supported yet either, with the result that it feels slower than a 3/60.

   I had a good deal of VME hardware in service, but since the rollover
from SunOS to NetBSD for Y2K and security issues, I've had to ditch it all
until such time as I or somebody can fix NetBSD. Once the ie driver is
fixed, then at least the 3/1xx systems can be run diskless.

   --James B.