[SunRescue] anciente tapes de SunOS.....

jwbirdsa at carfallin.picarefy.com jwbirdsa at carfallin.picarefy.com
Wed Mar 1 17:31:33 CST 2000

   I have tape images of a few different 2.x versions for Sun-2's. I'm
pretty sure that SunOS 1.x and 2.x were 68010-only.

   As supplied by Sun, everything up to 4.x was on four-track QIC-11 tapes.
Unfortunately, very few of the QIC-11 drives and their bridgeboards are
operational. The tapes can be read in a QIC-24 drive, but that doesn't
help much as only the very last ROM revision for Sun-2's could boot from
QIC-24.

   On the other hand, it doesn't matter too much because IIRC from my one
attempt to install 2.x, the entire install process was a little shellscript
on the miniroot that untarred files from the tape onto the disk. Since the
installation was almost entirely manual, it should be possible to use a
Sun-3 or SPARC to load the OS onto a hard drive and then transfer the disk
to the target Sun-2.

   I have a bunch of Sun-2's, but right now none are operational for one
reason or another. SunOS of that vintage (or even 3.x) is antique enough
that even if things compile, they may not work as expected. (For example,
SunOS 3.2 expects that an IP address will map to exactly one name and vice
versa. Unlike 4.x, it doesn't coredump if there are more, but the program
will never see anything but the first...) I have contemplated porting
NetBSD to them, but before I do that I'd like to get the ie driver
stabilized on the Sun-3, since ie is what all Sun-2's use.

   --James B.