[SunRescue] anciente tapes de SunOS.....

BSD Bob bobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Wed Mar 1 14:20:02 CST 2000

> > 3.5 is in the sun3 archives.  What I was thinking might be fun was
> > anything any earlier.  How far back does sunos go for 68020 class
> > machines?
> >
> > Of your tapes, if you have any tidbits for 3.5 that are different from
> > the regular 5 tape install set, do holler.  I think they might go into
> > our sun3 archives (Bill, you listening?).
>
> Ok, I had a look in the box and here's a listing of the tapes I've got
> (there are some nice gems too!):
> - Adobe transscript 2.1
> - Quintus Prolog V1.6, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 and 2.4.2
> - 1.0 NeWS for SunOS 3.2

I dunno if any of the above is of much use, practically.

> - SunOS 3.5 vor 68020

The 3.5 is already in the archives.  I have loaded it up, and it does
well on a 3/110.

> - SunOS 3.2

The 3.2 would be a good candidate, for generic 3/xxx class use.

> - SunOS 3.0 PILOT
> - SunOS 3.0 export for 68020 and 68010

The 3.0 would be a good candidate, too.  I dunno if PILOT is of much
use to anyone?

> - SunOS 2.0
> - SunOS 1.4

These are gems, for sure, and should definitely go into the archives.
Anyone know if these will run on a 3/xxx class machine?

Mebbie there are some Sun 2 users still about?
Speak up!

> If someone is interested, tell me and I'll try to put them up for FTP
> somewhere or try to make copies of the tapes.

I guess some sort of coordination needs to be done via Heiko Krupp,
in Germany, since he has the master archives, AND, the requisite
permissions from Sun.  Heiko, are you around?  Bill, what's your take
on expanding the archives?

> Note: I've only used the SunOS 3.5 tapes, the other ones may be
> unreadable!

The early ones are probably in 4 track format, but should be readable
on 9 track drives.  Anyone still have a 4 track transport running?
I have several of the 9 track archives and wangteks but the rubber
drive wheels give me fits.

> To get back to you original question: It seems that the first SunOS
> for sun3 was SunOS 3, as SunOS 2 does not have a processor
> designation on the tapelabel.

I am not sure where the different OS levels split between the processors.
Several of the historical buffs on the list should know.

> Cheers,
> Maarten
>
> --
> Maarten Deen                                           +31 (0)77 3076879
> mdeen at xs4all.nl                              http://www.xs4all.nl/~mdeen

Thanks, Maarten....

Who is interested in these historical ditties?

Bob