[SunRescue] Ugh. Please read.

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 30 17:54:10 CST 2000

Well I've been sitting here for a bit thinking about this situation. Most of
my thoughts are disjointed and arise from profound disappointment on the
part of Sun.

I bought my first Sun machine about a year ago, it was an old IPX (I still
have the little fellow) I had been building a strong dislike for the M$ and
Intel crowd and silliness, I was looking for something that could do real
work. I thought then and still do now that Sun was the real deal, awesome
stuff! The problem I found was that when I turned on my IPX it had a dead
NVRAM, of course I did not know this at the time, quickly found out, and
started to look for answers on how to fix this, I found exactly zero on this
on the Sun web site. Instead with some searching I found Mr. Bill's
Sunhelp.org where I found the answers I needed and still to this day find
the help needed to keep my machines going. I was under no illusion about who
owned the site.

If I had not found the help I needed I would most likely have sold to
abandoned the old IPX and gone on to something else. No I work for a company
that uses Sun equipment and I buy Sun equipment for my own uses at home and
my side business. I was planing to purchase a bigger Sun box, maybe even
new....

The short of it is Bill provides both all of us and Sun with a useful
service and a valuable point for the Sun community to solve problems from.
It's sad, I too believe Sun has stepped on its weenie this time. Sun if you
are reading this, please re-consider your position, sure I understand your
need to protect your brand, but lets get real here.

Bill, thank you.

Sun, well, I think I will keep this thought to myself.

To us all, who is next?

Mike N