[SunRescue] Serial ports and MODEMs

Chris Powell Chris_Powell at mitel.com
Thu Mar 30 06:59:36 CST 2000

All,

What are people managing to squeeze through the serial ports of their
Suns? I'm using a 14.4k MODEM (!) through my IPC to connect to an
ISP (hey, acronym overload!). This works fine, but is rather slow.
The serial port on the IPC is set to 19200. I understand the tiny
buffer of the serial ports (4 bytes or something?) precludes the
theoretical maximum of 38400 baud. Does anyone use this rate reliably?

If I invest in a faster MODEM (56k), will I be wasting my time as the
serial link becomes a bottle-neck? What about later sun4m machines
such as the Classic, SS5, SS10? Do they have better serial controllers?

What serial SBus cards are available?

Thanks.

Chris.