[SunRescue] [non-sun] need Mac parts!

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Wed Mar 29 22:52:16 CST 2000

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Would not having that module cause screen artifacts/garbage when I try to
> select > 256 colors with the control panel?

You shouldn't see any options in the Monitors control panel for
resolutions/depths you can't support.

> The machine is up and happy at least for now (when we have to upgrade the
> HD); ended up goin to CompUSA, buying two Mac magazines that had software
> CDs included, got Anarchie and Stuffit Expander off of those, and used
> that to download Netscape 4.08... used that to download ircle, and she's
> now ircing from the macintosh. 8-)

The other way to do it, of course, is to run CAP or netatalk on your Sun
and share a chunk of your disk to the Mac (which will mount it as a normal
AppleShare volume).  This works quite well.  If you're not running on an
Ultra you can even use the kernel drivers in MAE to accomplish this (but
it's less efficient).

My one lament is that netatalk still doesn't support the ProDOS AFP
extensions, so I can't mount a filesystem on my Apple IIgs across my
AppleTalk/EtherTalk bridge.  An SE/30 makes a decent fileserver for
AppleTalk, though.  23K/sec isn't much by modern standards but that's over
twice as fast as the IIgs floppy!

-James