[SunRescue] Re: need Mac parts!

Cyrus M. Reed reedc at cc.wwu.edu
Wed Mar 29 22:47:37 CST 2000

All Mac's that have the SuperDrive can read PC formatted disks.  The
only Macs that don't have this are early machines in the II series and
the SE (and even some of these were upgraded later to include the 1.44M
SuperDrive).  You need "PC Exchange" control panel though IIRC (the
"Macintosh Easy Open" control panel might come in handy too, but I don't
think it's required).  If the Mac doesn't have it, I think it's
downloadable as a separate file from ftp.apple.com in the "Apple Support
Area".  If not, it's included in the system software which you can get
from the same place (up to v7.5.5 last time I checked).  Of course
getting it to the Mac could be difficult if it can't read PC disks in
the first place....  In that case the "netatalk" package works well as
an AppleShare fileserver since the machine has network access.  I know
netatalk is avalible for Linux, but I don't know about other OSes.

-Cyrus

P.S.  The Quadra 840AV takes up to 2MB VRAM (1MB standard, expandable
with 256k VRAM SIMMs), which should be enough for "thousands of colors"
at 800x600 or 832x624.  Above that, you'd probably want an add in card.