SPARC laptops (was: RE: [SunRescue] Good x86 Laptop?)

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Wed Mar 29 12:00:59 CST 2000

Why aren't there "commodity" level SPARC based laptops running in like the
5K range?  Looking at the Sun prices on their website, this doesn't seem
impossible to do...  If you can get a Ultra II on a VME-64 board for not
that bad of a price, you should really be able to get an ultra laptop for a
reasonable price.  All of the components to do it are there, especially
since there's the AXe, just integrate it alla wee bit more, and stick it in
a nice case.

> > Also, with desktop machines so affordable (look at what you
> can get for $1K
> > these days), most potential laptop buyers have opted for
> home desktop machines
> > for folks that may have been a laptop candidate.
>
> That's likely as well.  That, or cheap older SPARC hardware
> (the route I
> ended up taking).  That, or the other alternative:  Linux or
> a *BSD, and
> then Solaris ends up taking the back seat...
>
> Just strikes me as odd that Sun kind of seems to want to
> ignore what was
> always a good, strong, traditional market for Solaris x86 to
> go and pursue
> Intel-based servers.  Maybe they think there'll be a Linux
> backlash in the
> future and they want to be poised for that busines...In the
> meantime, I
> guess I'll end up slogging 2 laptops if I want to use Solaris
> x86 (my old
> Tecra should be supported, although it died half way through
> the install the
> first time I tried it), or just give in and go Linux (not my first
> choice...).

Why?  I'm much happier running Linux on my desktop than I am with Solaris.
I'm still pissed that the SPARC SCSI support in linux is so sucky, but other
than that it seems much nicer to work with, and easier to get a decent
desktop out of, than Solaris.
	Greg