[SunRescue] SPARCbook 2 OS

BSD Bob bobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Tue Mar 28 09:15:08 CST 2000

> On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:13:21 -0500 (EST), BSD Bob wrote:
>

> >> Okay, now I'll rephrase my question... =)
> >>
> >> Does anyone know about the SPARCbook 2?  I used to be a previous
> >> owner of a 3GX, but I'm not too familiar with the 2.
> >
> >The SB2 is a fair machine.  It needs Solaris 1.1.1B and will ONLY run
> >Solaris 1.1.1B... period.
>
> Are you sure?  According to Tadpole's website (the Y2K status page), it says the last
> version of Solaris ported to this machine is 2.3 Tadpoe edtion.

AFIK, it only loads 1.1.1B.  I tried the other one, and it was a no-go.
IFF you manage to get it going, do holler.  The 1.1.1B installed fine.
It could be that my machine is funky.  But, I had some discussions with
one of the folks at Tadpole, who still knew anything about the ancient
machines, and what fell out was that 1.1.1B was the one that worked.

> I had a copy somewhere, but can't find it now.
> >
> >> Also, is the mouse sort of keyboard based?
> >
> >Uses a standard Type 4 or 5 keyboard and mouse out the back.  The
> >onboard mouse is the little set of keys marked with pointers.
> >It is a waste to run X on it.  Use it cmdline mode only, IMHO.
>
> Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
>
> So, you can't even run Mac OS 7.1, err, I mean Solaris 2.3 (same thing, both buggy, right?)
> just as CLI on it?  I really don't need a GUI, especially on only 32MB of RAM.
> >
> >> I might be lucky and still have my Solaris 2.3 Tadpole edition, but
> >> is anyone else here unfortunate enough to have a copy? =)
> >
> >Nope, won't run on the SB2.  Sorry.
> >
> Are you sure?  Check Tadpole's website.

Like I said, if you get it to run, do let me know exactly how you did it.
I am batting zero on it, but the 1.1.1B thing installed like clockwork.

I will check their pages again.  The fellow in England at Tadpole that
knew anything was supposed to be getting a page up on the sb2.  I sent
him some details of how to get it up on 1.1.1B, but that was 6mos back,
and I have not heard anything since then.  I will see if I can dig up
that page (not on their main pages).

Thanks

Bob