[SunRescue] Changing swap devices

Paul Khoury pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 27 07:09:21 CST 2000

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 12:54:46 -0800 (PST), James Lockwood wrote:

>5On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Paul Khoury wrote:
>
>> How would one change swap devices?  I have swap on my main drive, but I put in
>> an old Maxtor LXT213 I'd like to use solely for swap (since I heard it's better to have
>> swap on a seperate drive).
>
>Having swap on a separate spindle is good.  Having swap on a slow disk is
>bad.  If your other drive is noticably faster then moving swap onto this
>drive may slow you down.

Well, the current drive is a DEC RZ73, which is pretty fast.  I don't use swap all that much
(the system seems to be surprisingly efficient), but when I do, I'd rather
have it on the 200MB disk (since it's not being used for anything else anyways).

Would a Maxtor LXT213Y be classified as being slow?