[SunRescue] I-opener

Ken Hansen n2vip at impop.bellatlantic.net
Fri Mar 24 12:58:05 CST 2000

While this thread is not Sun-rescue related, I feel compelled to
contribute...

I ordered an I-Opener at the beginning of the week, and I suspect that the
unit that finally gets delivered will be just like the ones they sold last
month.

But let's say it isn't. Let's say the box is sealed (somehow) and the IDE
header is removed. I can simply load a*nix-like OS into FLASH and go
on from there. Or, let's say they locked up the OS in FLASH, and I can't
overwrite that - well, then the HD will override and boot from there. But,
what if they do ALL of this - then my parents get an I-Opener to replace
the HP P166MMX laptop I was going to send them for email/web access.

A $99 box (w/display) is a good deal. $21.95/mo ISP is a bit high, but it
will take a long time for that extra few bucks a month to amount to a real
penalty.

My hunch is they changes (if any) will be in the removal of hardware, since
that would be the easiest change to make without *extensive* testing that
say, a BIOS rewrite or OS change would/should require.

There, that's my $.02!

(BTW: I too have too much Intel HW in my house, but once you hit a dozen
systems it's impolite to count!)

Ken
n2vip at bellatlantic.net