[SunRescue] Upgrading the CPU/FPU on a 3/60?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Mar 24 11:31:45 CST 2000

On March 24, Paul Khoury wrote:
> It means I can get better FPU performance if I stick in a 68882 FPU replacing the 68881.
> It also mentions it has to be pin and command compatible.  Would one from a Mac fit the bill?
> I somewhat doubt it, but thought I'd ask - came out of a IIfx.

  A 68882 is a 68882.  There's no such thing as a "Mac 68882".  Go for
it.

  I used a 3/60 as my primary workstation many years ago.  I did a lot
of raytracing and stuff like that on it.  I replaced the 68881 with a
68882 and was very pleased with the increase in performance.  It's
well worth the time if you're doing any floating point work.

          -Dave McGuire