[SunRescue] Converting Classic Xs to Classics

Harry Regan harry.regan at usa.net
Fri Mar 24 06:50:04 CST 2000

Hmmm.  There is light at the end of the tunnel... Last night I was poking
around in the PROM and NVRAM areas.  I repeated the conversion process-- but
this time doing the "four bytes" first and then patching the machine ID-- the
reverse order of how I had done it before.  It worked!  I booted it from a
Solaris CD and it all came up good.  I installed a small SCSI disk and now it
boots, telling the world it's a Classic!

To test the "sequence" theory, I patched the NVRAM values in the other Classic
X in the four bytes first, then machine ID order-  and it failed...  So
apparently the "poking" I was doing set some memory context or page value that
is important to the process.  Oh well, more fiddling...

Once we crack this code, we'll take a look at the Xterminal1...

---- Harry J. Regan
---- Phone: 202.310.2719 ---- FAX: 212.202.3923
---- harry.regan at usa.net ---- hregan at lepus.com