[SunRescue] Converting Classic Xs to Classics

Harry Regan harry.regan at usa.net
Thu Mar 23 05:58:55 CST 2000

I recently picked up a pair of Classic X's.  I'd like to use them as regular
Classics, so I changed the machine ID and the "four bytes" as described in
Mark Henderson's FAQ. When I reset the machine and did a probe-scsi or
probe-scsi-all the machine can't find any devices and (obviously) won't boot
from CDROM or from an external, Solaris 2.6 hard disk at SCSI ID 3. The PROM
version is 2.12, which, per the FAQ, is one where the patch should work.

The machines themselves are fine-- if I set them up to netboot as xterms they
come up great. The motherboard sure looks like a Classic board. I don't see
any obvious missing chips (like a missing SCSI controller) or cables...  There
is a suspicious 1" card-edge connector on the motherboard that has no
equivalent back-panel plug-in connector over by the audio circuitry.

Has anyone out there *really* done this conversion? Even the FAQ author said
he didn't have hardware to test it on...

---- Harry J. Regan
---- Phone: 202.310.2719 ---- FAX: 212.202.3923
---- harry.regan at usa.net ---- hregan at lepus.com