[SunRescue] Creator 2D/PCI card in Ultra 5?

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Thu Mar 23 00:30:36 CST 2000

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Stephen Olson wrote:

> A more practical solution might be to modify a good pee-cee ATX case to accept
> the Ultra 5 motherboard and power supply.  With this setup the Creator could be
> mounted just as it is in the 10.  There might be a market for an "Ultra 5
> upgrade kit".  Bundle a modified case with a UPA frame buffer and a 440Mhz
> CPU.  Make your 5 into a 10.

This would be quite easy.  The U10 PCI riser board (aka "Sea Lion" board)
is available brand new from Sun for only $60 or so, and gives you 4 PCI
slots facing away from the UPA slot.  The trouble is that commodity ATX
cases are designed to mount PCI cards vertically, the layout Sun uses is
more similar to the proprietary case designs seen in the PC world with the
single row of connectors along the bottom and the horizontal PCI card
mounting.

The case itself is assembled by Mitac, I don't know if they buy them from
another source.  It would certainly be interesting to try to track a
source down.

Anyone who really needs a UPA framebuffer and can go third-party for parts
will probably choose an AXi if they know about them, though.

-James