[SunRescue] Sun3s make up a dongle for rs232...

BSD Bob bobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Wed Mar 22 18:25:41 CST 2000

> James has the right idea, but back in the old days when we were using
> ASR33's and that kind of thing, getting into the ``internet-to-be'' at
> a mighty 110 baudes de ethere, I used to keep a little M/F patch cable
> handy wired 2/3/7 to 3/2/7 with 4/5/6/8/20 jumpered on each end.
> That is a null dongle, that IFF, the beast wont output to you, drop
> it in the line and it either will or wont.  Nowadays they sell a little
> plug dongle null adapter that does the same thing.  I never go near
> anthing RS232 with it.  Even cheaper than breakout boxes or ledlightdongles.
                without it.

Stupid me..... oh, well.  I got a C in typing, decades ago, guess I need
a refresher course......(:+{{....

Make up a dongle cable and be happy.  If that won't cure it right off,
you probably have a baud rate set incorrectly.   Rarely is it anything
else, although sometimes it is a dead port or cable, but not too often.

Bob