[SunRescue] Sun3s

BSD Bob bobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Wed Mar 22 18:17:29 CST 2000

>    Set the diag/norm switch to diag. This will guarantee output on ttya.
> However, if you don't have the cable right, you still won't see anything.
> For my VT100 semiclones, I need to have a null modem adapter. The best
> bet for getting connections right is to go out and get one of the little
> boxes with LEDs on it: they're cheap, and you can see at a glance if you
> need a null modem (or don't need one that you have), because one of TD or
> RD won't be lit.

James has the right idea, but back in the old days when we were using
ASR33's and that kind of thing, getting into the ``internet-to-be'' at
a mighty 110 baudes de ethere, I used to keep a little M/F patch cable
handy wired 2/3/7 to 3/2/7 with 4/5/6/8/20 jumpered on each end.
That is a null dongle, that IFF, the beast wont output to you, drop
it in the line and it either will or wont.  Nowadays they sell a little
plug dongle null adapter that does the same thing.  I never go near
anthing RS232 with it.  Even cheaper than breakout boxes or ledlightdongles.

Generically, DECstuff plays straight through and WYSE or Televideo or
non-DEC stuff plays through the null dongle on my anciente suntoyz.

It almost seems that RS-232 serial comms are a lost art form, anymore.
Them wuz da days.....

Bob