[SunRescue] Sun3s

jwbirdsa at picarefy.picarefy.com jwbirdsa at picarefy.picarefy.com
Wed Mar 22 18:04:24 CST 2000

   Set the diag/norm switch to diag. This will guarantee output on ttya.
However, if you don't have the cable right, you still won't see anything.
For my VT100 semiclones, I need to have a null modem adapter. The best
bet for getting connections right is to go out and get one of the little
boxes with LEDs on it: they're cheap, and you can see at a glance if you
need a null modem (or don't need one that you have), because one of TD or
RD won't be lit.

   Once you have established communication with your 3/50, then you can
set it up to use whatever you want as the console. When it asks you to
press a key for extended diagnostics, go ahead and press a key. Then
'q' at the menu to exit out of the diagnostics and get to the PROM
prompt. To change the console, do 'q 1f', which opens the EEPROM at
address 0x1F and displays the current contents, then prompts for a new
value. For the 3/50, relevant values are 00 (mono framebuffer), 10 (ttya),
or 11 (ttyb). If you want a serial console on ttya, enter '10'. It will move
on to the next EEPROM location; 'q' to exit.

   Once you've done that, you can power the machine down, change the
diag/norm switch to norm, and power up again, and it will use ttya as
the console.

   --James B.