[SunRescue] 13W3 A/B video switch

Tim Hauber tim_hauber at STEV.net
Wed Mar 22 14:14:12 CST 2000

rescue at sunhelp.org writes:
>So I need to switch a Sun GDM20E20 between an Sun and a SVGA video output.
>
>I have two choices - get an svga video switch (Black Box - $69.00) and
>convert
>the 13W3 to svga, or try to find a 13W3 switch and convert the svga to
>13W3.  I
>figured that the 13W3 switch might be of better quality, so I asked Black
>Box
>what their cost to build me one would be.  Their quote was ridiculous -
>about
>three times what they charge for the same switch with svga connectors.
>
>Does anyone know of a 13W3 A/B video switch?
>
>If not, I guess I'll just go with svga, and hope to avoid ghosting, etc...
>
>Thanks,
>Paul Phillips

Or, get out the soldering iron, make yourself a custom switch with 13W3
and VGA on it yourself, you could even do it by hacking a good 13W3 cable
in half, so you wouldn't have 2 extra connections in the line.  It isn't
that hard to make a good clean switch, just keep your internal leads
extremely short and straight, put it in a little metal box, and voila' a
switch for probably less than Black box, but really custom to your config.