[SunRescue] SCA brackets and SS20 SM81 question

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Wed Mar 22 13:27:41 CST 2000

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Maarten Deen wrote:

> James Lockwood:
> > That's fairly normal.  Be careful about adding 2 hot drives to a SS20,
> > ventilation in the chassis is not great.  Also, you should have a small
> > fan mounted in between the hard drive bays and the CDROM/floppy bays, if
> > you don't then you can get one from Sun for free.  Call 1-800-USA-4SUN and
> > ask about the SparcStation 20 FCO.
>
> I had, but hearing this information, my SS20 suddenly lacks his, and my SS5
> suddenly gained one ;-D

Careful, Sun was asking for the serial number of the SS20 involved last I
checked, they probably won't send the same kit out twice.

> Uh, for type-4 keyboards this is true, but the type-5 has an internal connector,
> much like the 3.5" diskdrive power connector but 6 (7?) pins. I've tried
> connecting a type-4 cable to the mouse port on the type-5 keyboard, but
> the SS20 says 'no keyboard found'.
> I do have a type-4 with mouse which works, but obviously I would like the extra's
> on the type-5 kb.

Sounds like your keyboard is dead.  Type-5 keyboards are identical to
type-4's in cable layout, they have 8-pin mini-DIN female plugs on each
end of the keyboard to connect to the system unit and mouse.  Type-5c have
a captive keyboard cable to connect to the system and a plug for the mouse
in the middle of the underside of the keyboard.

The multiprong connector you mention is not for the mouse.  Do you have a
5 or a 5c?

-James