[SunRescue] Postscript mousepad found!

Kurt Huhn kurthuhn at k-huhn.com
Wed Mar 22 11:46:29 CST 2000

>You know, by the time I'd found the right medium, after running around town
>or surfing the web, experimenting by running things through my laser
printer
>(which would probably get gummed up, weird crap stuck in it, or
>nicked/ruined drum) laminated it to a base with either a clear or some
other
>covering.  .  .
>
>I'd just rather order one from Sun, or pick up a pile at a swap meet. My
>time is worth the $15.00 they cost to order.

Understandable, but here's the geek factor.  "This *might* work, lets try
it.."
The "Geek Factor", also known as the "Hack Factor" makes it possible for the
PS file to exist in the first place.  Then makes it possible for the file to
be altered and changed to accomodate type 4 and 5 mice.

It's the same factor that drives people like Bill, Gregory, and myself to
buy an I-Opener and add things like ethernet, hard drives, real keyboards,
and real mice.  These are exercises in self-fulfillment, haveing limited
basis in the realm of "worthwhile activities".  But they give a sense of
satisfaction - like that time I successfully deassembled, then reassembled,
an Apple //e something like 15 years ago.  There wasn't anything wrong with
it, I just wanted to do it.

Without a doubt, I have to agree with you estimation of time/cost.  However,
to me, it's worth my time to explore this avenue - what happens in ten years
when there aren't any Sun branded type 4 mouse pads around anymore?  Now
that's a stretch, but if I can spend a few hours playing and excersising my
brain...  Well, it makes a nice diversion from my regular routine anyway.

Kurt