[SunRescue] Sun 64MB expansion boards

Kent Rankin krankin at usit.net
Tue Mar 21 03:26:59 CST 2000

> I saw (and I shit you not) a 100' 13W3 to BNC cable for a SGI system once.
> It was when I was working for texas.net.  We ran it all the way from the back
> of the NOC to out the front door (this is through some twisty hallways, etc,
> too..)
>
> I have no clue why someone would want a 100 foot monitor cable, unless your
> system is next to a nuclear reactor or something...

	Generally so you can have your console outside of the god-awfully
distracting machine room environment.  Even though this room in my home
sounds like that(vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr; you know the sound), many
people can't manage such a life(god forbid answering a telephone call
in one).

	There are many such systems deployed for SGI Onyx and the like
using MCO's(Multi-Channel Options) that utilize fiber so you can have
your console up to 20km away(more of a design feature than a need, that
20km bit *grin*).  In fact, many design houses split an Onyx between
so many people that what looks like an entire network backplane might
be the console switch.  *LOL*

						-Kent Rankin
						(who used to use a
						50-foot extender on