[SunRescue] Creator 2D/PCI card in Ultra 5?

Chris Drelich hyena at interport.net
Tue Mar 21 07:33:47 CST 2000

Errr. Well, maybe I didn't explain well.  There ARE things that go into an AGP
slots besides Graphics cards.  You don't want this.  You don't want your RAID
or Network or SCSI card depending on AGP.  So basicly your peripheral gets a
boost and your system gets a performance hit.  This is NOT how it works, but
probably the best way I can explain it: think of AGP devices has half-hardware,
half-software emulation, it does everything in hardware, but when hardware
fills up, instead of peripheral performance starting to falter, it does
software-emulation(no, it doesn't actually do this, it actually just takes away
resources of the host system based on the AGP bus architecture, but this is
just a simple analogy, ok?) and the actual computer, rather then the
peripheral, starts to do actual work, using cycles, stealing RAM, etc..  Now,
if all you do his play games, thn AGP is fine, your game isn't using all the
cycles of your new 800MHz proccessor, and you have plenty of RAM, so you don't
notice a system hit, you just see nice graphics.  However, this is a different
case in a serious server, when your RAID card begins to take away precious RAM
and cycles, and unlike a normal proccess, there's nothing you can do about it.
So, yes, in some cases AGP is a good thing, but this is mainly for graphics in
a single user system which generally plays games.  I hope that cleared up some stuff.
Chris