[SunRescue] Creator 2D/PCI card in Ultra 5?

4steve at nycap.rr.com 4steve at nycap.rr.com
Mon Mar 20 22:55:07 CST 2000

I thought that the Creator series of cards were built around the UPA architecture.

Sun has a good picture of all this at:
http://www.sun.com/desktop/products/graphics/creatortech.html

The Ultra 10 has one UPA slot, while the Ultra 5 has only PCI expansion slots.  As
far as I know, this is the only reason the creator is not supported in the 5.

Now, If I'm wrong, and there is really a PCI version of the Creator, it should fit
in the 5.  As both the Ultra 5 and Ultra 10 accept standard size PCI cards.   I
guess the only exception would be if it was really long, the tower case has the
advantage here.

It would be nice to have the option of accelerated graphics on the Ultra 5.  It
wouldn't have to be extremely fast (Elite 3d m6 etc...), but something that takes
advantage of the VIS instruction set on the CPU would be nice.  Otherwise I'm very
happy with the computer.

-Steve