[SunRescue] sparcbook heat concerns

Paul Khoury pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 19 15:00:25 CST 2000

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:42:29 -0500 (EST), josh grubman wrote:

>i picked up a sparcbook 3gx on the cheap this weekend. it's sitting on my desk
>next to me compiling some stuff and i can feel heat radiating from the
>keyboard.
>
>i read some comments in the sparcbook FAQs about these things overheating, but
>i couldn't find anything definitive. at what point do i need to start worrying
>about components failing due to excessive heat?

Let's just say I was stupid that I had my LCD closed on my 3GX when I still had it,
not realizing the backlight was almost dead from the heat.

Even worse when you're running RC5 on it...

Yes, it gets hot.
I ended up getting a replacement dead unit to replace the LCD (actually the backlight).

Sadly, I still have the SPARCbook case, and it makes a GREAT heatsink for my also
overheating ThinkPad 760ED (this machine).

Paul