[SunRescue] SS20 CD-rom issues?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri Mar 17 10:51:04 CST 2000

On Fri, Mar 17, 2000 at 11:42:14AM -0500, apotter at icsa.net wrote:
> > I don't have a real Sun CD-ROM for it, but I do have a Toshiba XM-3401
> > (not sure if that's the right model number) SCSI CD-ROM drive. It's worked
> > for installing my IPXs and LXs (so I know it is sun bootable.)
> If is really is a 3401, look at the circuit board that pokes out of the
> rear of the drive near the scsi connector.  It has two solder blob looking
> thingies that actually look like:
> 	(|-|)    (|-|)
> To clarify, these are two solder patches with small traces between them.
> If these traces hace not been cut, the the drive is set up for 2048 block
> size.
> Consult the Sun CDROM FAQ (off of sunhelp.org) to confirm all of this, but
> cutting the traces should fix your problem.  It may also make the drive
> unusable for a PC, so consider carefully before doing anything irreversable.

You can always re-solder the "jumpers".

With this "mod", a 3401 wil "boot anything" - a friend of mine still sells them
for ~$100, and *gets* it - I've booted everything from a SGI Personal IRIS
4D/20 to an Indy to a HP C200 machine to an UltraSPARC off of mine.

Bill

--
| Bill Bradford | mrbill at mrbill.net |