[SunRescue] SS20 CD-rom issues?

apotter at icsa.net apotter at icsa.net
Fri Mar 17 10:42:14 CST 2000

> I don't have a real Sun CD-ROM for it, but I do have a Toshiba XM-3401
> (not sure if that's the right model number) SCSI CD-ROM drive. It's worked
> for installing my IPXs and LXs (so I know it is sun bootable.)

If is really is a 3401, look at the circuit board that pokes out of the rear of the drive near the scsi connector.  It has two solder blob looking thingies that actually look like:

To clarify, these are two solder patches with small traces between them.  If these traces hace not been cut, the the drive is set up for 2048 block size.

Consult the Sun CDROM FAQ (off of sunhelp.org) to confirm all of this, but cutting the traces should fix your problem.  It may also make the drive unusable for a PC, so consider carefully before doing anything irreversable.

ALso, I've had great luck with Plextors.  A bonus for them is that they use a jumper to control this behavior, and they are relatively cheap in the older slower variations.

AL