[SunRescue] Memory questions

David Rouse drouse at arlington.newsargus.com
Fri Mar 17 06:04:43 CST 2000

> > I hope these aren't dumb questions, but what's is the best
> > way to get maximum
> > memory on a 64MB SS1+ or SS2?
> > My SS2 I use as my webserver has 64MB, but I'm wondering if
> > there's processes I don't
> > need (powerd for one), where I can gain some extra memory?
> > Right now I have about
> > 30MB free, but I might run X on it since I just aquirred a
> > 16" monitor.
>
> man top.  Find out which programs are eating up ram, and remove the
ones
> that you don't need.  If you don't recognize something, look for
> documentation on it on that machine, and then online.  If you can't
figure
> out what it is, kill it.  If something stops working, you'll know what
that
> was.  What's the worst that can happen, a reboot, or maybe a
re-install.
> Small price to pay to find out what killing that process does, if you
ask
> me.
> 	Greg

He might not have top, but '/usr/ucb/ps -aux' will also show cpu and
memory usage in a sense. Solaris's memory handling means you can't
always just look at a number and tell if you have the right amount. Sun
has a white paper somewhere on sizing memory and the process is a little
involved. What I heard somewhere is to look at vmstat and make sure that
the 'free' column doesn't stay under 4,000 over any length of time. The
converse of this -- I suppose -- is if it doesn't get to about 4,000
then you have enough RAM. Also watch the 'sr' column to see how hard the
memory management is working to move memory pages around.

But getting rid of daemon process you don't need is a good idea, even if
most of them will page out when you are working. I've been walking
through the rcx.d directories myself, reading the scripts and seeing
what I can drop.

--
David Rouse
Network Manager