[SunRescue] 'Getting started' questions

Richard Close richardc at datel-rail.co.uk
Thu Mar 16 10:25:08 CST 2000

	[>]  Thanks, but I must say that I worked it out from the FAQ, apart
from the more detailed
	Linux specific stuff, e.g. look in your /var/log/messages for
feedback.

	 Also I just remembered something else, after the install I had a
few minor problems.

	I had to edit the /etc/resolv.conf as the name of my domain was
missing from the search line.
	This meant that the resolver did not get as far as the second line
so the nameserver was not
	being called. You just need to add your domain name and then it all
works fine, e.g.

	search close.u-net.com
	nameserver 192.168.1.1

	 This is a pain as I already entered the domain name during the
install!

	 Oh yeah, be very carefull when exporting a CDROM with NFS! NFS and
the automounter
	do not mix! To be safe stop the automounter (/etc/rc.d/init.d/autofs
stop) and mount the drive
	manually.

	 I also discovered that the installation process had not unmounted
the NFS filesystem
	used for the install properly when it shutdown for the first reboot.
A bit of editing to the files
	/var/lib/nfs/rmtab and /var/lib/nfs/xtab was necessary to remove
references the sun clients
	before I shutdown my NFS server. I've had similar problems with PC
clients and if I don't remove
	the refences to the client machines then NFS does not shutdown
properly and server hangs
	during shut down, yuk!

	 I am a Linux fan, but the NFS deamon has been giving me grief ever
since it was put in the kernel.
	I wish someone would sort it out!

	 Regards,
	   Richard.