SCSI swapping (Re: [SunRescue] a bit OT but...)

Bjrn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Thu Mar 16 09:05:22 CST 2000

Tim Hauber wrote:

> >Heh heh, I thought I was the only one who does "w > uptime_01".
> >I am proud of my system, one reason I don't like to shut it down.
> >But that's slightly a problem, because I'd like to add 2 more SCSI
> >CD-ROMs to it.
>
> yeah?  plug them in and go, I know it isn't recommended, but I don't have
> problems with live SCSI changes.

You shouldn't have. It's SCSI. :-)

Seriously, I use "warm/hot plugging" as often as I can on UNIX machines.
I don't work that much with Sun computers in general, just on my spare
time. What's the command for probing the SCSI-bus for new devices? (and
making device files for them)

Alphas (UNIX) are easy:
"scsimgr -scan_all"

Also SGIs: