[SunRescue] 'Getting started' questions

Fleet Captain Druaga druaga at pmail.net
Thu Mar 16 08:54:11 CST 2000

>Not a bad starter machine although you'll probably want to purchase more
ram
>for it.

>>I guess I could pick up another ss2 just for the 4MB simms.  That would
>>take me to 64, which is the max for the mainboard, correct?  (I must have
8
>>4s and 8 1s, because all my simm slots are full.)

I don't know the specs on the Sparc 2 but they are available at
http://docs.sun.org - search for Sparc Station Service Manual Collections
and you should be able to find them.  If you get the other Sparc 2 I might
buy it off you if you don't ask too much.  Although I probably shouldn't
tell you this beforehand - http://www.rave.com has a Weitek upgrade chip
that works in SS2's to double the CPU internal speed to 80mhz instead of
40mhz.  You can also find those on E-bay for around $100 - $150.

>1) For industry standard learning/playing you can probably still get
Solaris
>for the cost of the media +shipping.  It's what most Sun boxes run and it

>>I don't have a known-good scsi cd-rom.  Is it possible to do a network
>>install from a Linux box?

I know that you can most likely do a BOOTP or TFTP install from the Linux
box although I've never done one.  I don't know if it's available but you
used to be able to do a SMB install off of a Windows box as well - I did
that once or twice and it worked ok.  You might also want to pay the money,
again off of E-Bay, for an old SCSI cd-Rom.  I bought three off there at
once for $30 + shipping.  Not a bad deal.

>should run quite well on the system you have as long as you're not trying
>do heavy graphics work.  It's also easier to find help for Solaris on Sparc

>>No keyboard, mouse, or monitor-->probably no graphics.  I've got much
>>faster Linux boxes, so I don't have much need for X on this toy.

Then a "headless" install is probably the way you want to go.

>Even if they have no drives or memory ~$10 each is quite a bargain for
Sparc
>hardware!  Sometimes building a system from scratch is far more desirable
>than getting one pre-made.  (This is especially true if you want that warm
>fuzzy from having accomplished something yourself. ;-)

>>I generally take a hard-line approach to the building from scratch
>>phrase--if you didn't draw the schematic and solder the board, you didn't
>>build it.  :-)  Guess that comes from having a background in the small
>>embedded systems.

In the case of Sparc machines it pays to get the base system and add parts
to it in many cases because the Sparc parts can be expensive at times.  I've
done PC/networking for about 10yrs now and I would most likely build a
system from the ground up rather than buy a "complete" box.  You often get
exactly what you're looking for and pay less.

>BTW - What is a dead freight warehouse and how do I find one? =-)

>>Insured freight that is lost or refused (usually due to damage) is dead.
>>The shipping party  collects insurance and the freight company (or
>>insurance company, depending) gets stuck with the refused freight.  They
>>can then trash it, sell it, or auction it.  If you've got a large trucking
>>company in your area, call 'em up and ask if they auction or sell off
their
>>dead freight.

Thanks!  I'll have to check it out around here.

Sincerely,

Mike Hebel

Rescue maillist  -  Rescue at sunhelp.org