[SunRescue] Sun4c support dropped in Solaris 8?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Mar 14 17:11:30 CST 2000

On March 14, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > > Hmm, that kinda scary...  anybody put together specs on
> > these olden boxes?
> > > i didn't see anything on pdp11.org, but i didn't look much.  Similar
> > > machines though, right?
> >
> > Similar, yes. A successor, rather.
>
> Hmm, somehow I thought that that machine was in production the same time as
> the later PDP11s...  not that it matters, since I wasn't old enough to read
> when those things were new.  :)

  The VAX *architecture* was a successor to the PDP11 architecture.
Implementations of that architecture overlapped for [what is now] most
of their lifetimes.

  They share architectural roots and philosophies, but they're still
quite a bit different.  Both truly wonderful (and historically
important) architectures in my opinion, and very much worthy of
study.

  And the later, more modern VAXen are still quite viable as a
computing platform.

             -Dave McGuire